Skip to main content

Afghanistan: Cooking Around the World with Camilla (CATWWC)

Here's the first stop in my cooking-around-the-world adventure. I was inspired, today, to do this - cooking my way through 195 countries - by Sasha of Global Table Adventure. And, in typcial Camilla-fashion, I asked myself: why wait?

So, here we go. Dinner tonight was made up of savory and sweet dishes from AFGHANISTAN, the first country on the list.

Click here for my CATWWC (Cooking Around the World with Camilla) launch post.

I hope you'll enjoy my tabletop travels. Maybe you'll even join me in whipping up a dish or two. If you do cook something from one of these countries, I'd love to hear about it. Feel free to comment on the posts themselves or email me at constantmotioncamilla at gmail dot com.

Country: Afghanistan

Being a landlocked nation, Afghani cuisine seems to be influenced by all of its neighbors. The flat bread is reminiscent of Indian naan while the combinations of herbs and spices remind me of dinners at the table of a friend who came from Iran.

After perusing some online Afghani recipe collections, I came up with a menu that I could make with things I already had on-hand. Perfect! Before dinner, we pulled out an atlas. The boys located Afghanistan, looked at the neighboring countries, and tried to imagine what we were going to eat.

Here's what I made on our first stop of Cooking Around the World with Camilla... as always I used what I had in my cupboards or fridge, substituting here and there while trying to stay true to the flavors and textures of the original recipe.


Kadu Bouranee (Afghani Sweet Pumpkin)
This aromatic dish has the texture of a stew and is an intriguing mix of sweet - pumpkin and tomato - and tangy - plain yogurt. The fresh and dried herbs add incredible layers. I scooped this over steamed brown basmati rice.


Nan-i-Afghani (Afghani Bread)
I knew this would be a hit with the alacrity at which Indian naan is devoured at our table. This flat bread is scented wtih ground cumin and sprinkled with black caraway seeds. Riley said, "the nan is really plain to go with the really strong pumpkin." He was absolutely right.


Sher Berinj (Afghani Rice Pudding)
Years ago, in college, I cooked an Indian dinner that ended with a rosewater custard. My then-boyfriend tossed his ramekin out the window while I had my back turned, much to the amusement of the our dinner guests and to my utter dismay. It took me several years to shake off that experience and buy another bottle of rosewater. Since then, I use it sparingly, but when I do incorporate it into my cooking, it's a unique treat.

So that's it. Afghanistan, check. Country one of this adventure is down. Next up: Albania.

Comments

  1. Camilla, I am loving this culinary world tour. I'm glad that life has led you to a circle of friends and family that appreciate your incredible talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jenn, thank you! Can you imagine how much different my life would be with picky eaters?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post on "Afghanistan: Cooking Around the World with Camilla (CATWWC)". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- cake courses in dubai | cake decorating classes dubai

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce