Skip to main content

Pheasant en Crème {Crème de la Crème Menu}


When I was trying to come up with a menu for my mom's birthday dinner, I put out the ask for suggestions. One of my foodie pals posted: "My grandma used to make pheasant. I swear I remember marshmallows in the recipe..."

Staci ended up asking her dad who said that it wasn't marshmallow, it was heavy cream. Sounded perfectly decadent and just the ticket for my mom's Crème de la Crème birthday dinner. I sort of made up the recipe as while I went along...and it turned out fantastic.

Quick note: my friend, and boss, told me to just cook it here at work, so I didn't have to run home and then leave my oven on while no one was there. He wants it mentioned that he provided the oven and deserves some credit. Okay, credit given. Thanks for letting me fill the office with delicious smells without sharing anything with you!


First, I have a funny story about acquiring these birds! I called the grocery store where I remember getting a pheasant a few Thanksgivings back. Here's how the conversation went...

Do you have any pheasant?
What?
Pheasant? Do you have any?
You mean like the movie?!?
What?
Maybe you need to talk to the Meat Department...
That would be good. Thanks.

The answer was a negative. They used to carry it. No longer. Then I called another reputable meat market. That was just as unfulfilling...

Do you have any pheasant?
What?
Pheasant? Do you have any?
No. I don't know what that is.
May I please speak to someone in the Meat Department?
I'm in the Meat Department.

You're in the Meat Department and you don't know what a pheasant is?
Can you spell that?
P. h. e. a. s. a. n. t.
Oh, a pheasant.
Yes, that's what I said.
No, we don't have any.

Great. Two strikes. Then I decided to call one last store.

Do you have any pheasant?
Let me check.
[phew...he knows what it is and I don't have to spell it!]
Ma'am, pheasant is a seasonal item. We don't have any yet.
Oh...okay. Do you have any other suggestions?
I might be able to order some.
That would be great!

And they did! So grateful.

pheasant (I used 2 that weighed approximately 3 pounds each)
1 T minced garlic per bird
1 onion per bird, peeled and halved
freshly ground sea salt
freshly ground pepper
ground smoked paprika
1 C sliced mushrooms per bird
1/2 C cubed pancetta per bird
olive oil
1 C heavy cream per bird

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Stuff the bird with the halved onion. Rub the bird with garlic and place it in a baking dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika. Top it with the pancetta and mushrooms. Drizzle the bird with olive oil, then pour heavy cream over the top. Place it - uncovered - in the oven.

Bake for one hour. Baste it with the cream. Bake for another hour. Baste one more time and bake for another 30 minutes till it's beginning to brown and crisp.

Riley declared that this was his favorite part of the dinner. Dylan said, "It's okay." But he did eat every morsel on his plate. I found this amazingly moist and tasty. Thanks, Staci. We loved it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce