Skip to main content

Fulfilling Parental Duties: Creating Adventurous Eaters


To celebrate a new school year and to say farewell to Chef Brad (he's leaving to open his own restaurant), Aunt Jenn took us all to La Balena for dinner last night. It's one of our very favorite restaurants and we adore the owners, Anna and Emanuele. As we were leaving Anna gave them hats. They were thrilled though they both did lament, "We can't wear these to school!" It's against their dress codes to have any hats with writing or logos. And, of course, the big one - yes, I do mean my husband - joked, "Where's mine?!?"


While Jenn is one of my oldest and dearest friends, nothing makes me love her more than watching her kids eating adventurously. If you follow my posts at all, you already know that I feel it's our duty as parents to create kids who eat real food; I believe that we, as parents, are responsible for making kids picky eaters. If your kid doesn't eat vegetables, it's because you didn't offer them vegetables...or you allowed them to eat other things instead of the vegetables.

My rule has always been - and Jenn's obviously is also - they eat what we eat. Now that parenting style has its downsides: we have to share!

For several years the boys didn't care for lamb. Jake and I would grill lamb and they would get chicken, beef, or pork. But I had them try the lamb every time. And in the last few years, they have really started to enjoy lamb. So, now, I have to buy twice as much lamb and cringe because chicken, beef, and pork is less expensive. Oh, well. I really am glad they enjoy lamb now.

Back to my story...we settled into our table on the patio and G, who hadn't been to La Balena since he was 4 years old, exclaimed, "I remember this place! They have really good octopus. We're getting the octopus, right?!?" Of course! Back to the downside of creating adventurous eaters - we probably should have ordered two octopus plates.


What comes with the octopus changes with the seasons. This time, it was served with rustic chunks of watermelon, luscious tomatoes, piquant red onions, and seaweed. We battled over every last piece of octopus. In fact, I don't even think Jenn got to try a piece.


"Mom, you're going to order the tripe, too, right?!" asked R. I caught the eye of the man at the table next to us. He smiled. Yes, I will

"Your kids are good eaters, " he commented. It was my turn to smile. 


In addition to the octopus and tripe, we had their roasted cauliflower, sauteed dragon beans, two different salads, a whole roasted fish, ricotta gnocchi, and pasta made with squid ink. The polpettine are always amazing and, again, we probably should have ordered two plates. But we all shared and waited for the parade of deliciousness to continue.


After we had picked the bones clean from the fish, I caught G playing with the fish skeleton and my heart soared. He asked, "Can I eat the eyeball?" Sure. It's important to me that kids know that fish, the food, is actually an animal. It certainly doesn't come in breaded sticks naturally! I know my kids have never had fish sticks. And I doubt that Jenn's have either.


But balance is important and it's not all about whole animals, stomach lining, and fish eyeballs. Before we went, I emailed Anna and asked if they had D's favorite dessert - spumoni bomba. They did. And, unlike the octopus and meatballs, we actually did order two! Little N pointed at the wedges of spumoni with a chocolate shell and declared, "It's a boat!" He was so happy.


Thank you, Jenn, for treating us to a fabulous meal. We'll have to go back again soon. And when Chef Brad opens his place in the Fall, we'll all go. Our treat!!

Comments

  1. Wow, I can see why it is your favorite restaurant. I think it is good to let your kids try different and unique foods. My problem is my husband, while much better than when we first married, fights trying new foods. He wouldn't even look at my snail pilaf and it was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce