Skip to main content

Chanakhi and Salat Olivier #CooktheBooks


For this round - our June-July selection - of Cook the Books, the book selection was chosen by Simona from briciole.

She chose Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking: A Memoir of Food and Longing by Anya Von Bremzen.* You can read Simona's invitation in the book announcements: here.

Simona wrote: "In Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking: A Memoir of Food & Longing Von Bremzen tells a fascinating story of life and foods interspersed with historical references that come from within a composite, complex country going through monumental political and social changes in a relatively short period of time."


On the Page...

I have to admit that I tried to read this book several weeks ago. I plodded through the first couple of chapters, but I was not captivated. Then I had to report for jury duty on Monday and I put it in my purse along with two other books from my bookshelf. With four hours in the waiting room and a two-and-a-half hour lunch, I was able to restart the book, read it from cover to cover, and start a second book. So, I definitely didn't do my civic duty; but I did finish my Cook the Books assignment.

I will say that with this, more dedicated, read, I still wasn't entranced, but it was passable. I actually felt this was three distinct books - one about her family, one about her and her food, and one about Russian history - and they didn't mesh very well in my mind. The history was dry and the food took a back seat. I think it would have been more effective if each narrative chapter included a recipe. Maybe that would have made it more cohesive. But I did like her writing style, so I think I will search for another book and see what I think. Her cookbooks look interesting - The Greatest Dishes!: Around the World in 80 Recipes, The New Spanish Table, and Fiesta! A Celebration of Latin Hospitality.*

On the Plate...
Still, I was inspired to make a meal out of it. So, on my way home from the courthouse, I stopped at the market to pick up what I needed for two different dishes. I was intrigued by the Salat Olivier she shared because I have never put apples and fresh cucumber in a potato salad before.

Salat Olivier
Von Bremzen shares a recipe for this in the book. I slightly adapted it based on what I had and I skipped the peas completely because I forgot to buy them. Maybe next time. It was a hit; I think my husband had three helpings. "This is the best potato salad you've ever made!" he gushed.


Ingredients

  • 3 medium organic potatoes, diced
  • 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 organic cucumber, diced
  • 1 large organic apple, peeled, cored, and diced (I used a Granny Smith)
  • 1/4 C diced dill pickle (I used cornichons)
  • 4 sprigs fresh dill, chopped
  • 6 sprigs parsley, chopped
  • 1⁄2 C mayonnaise
  • 2 T apple cider vinegar
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste

Procedure
Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water, and gently boil over medium heat until tender, approximately 20 minutes. Drain and let cool. Place in a mixing bowl with eggs, cucumber, apple, and pickles. Sprinkle in herbs. Mix in mayonnaise and vinegar until well-combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to serve.

Chanakhi
Very popular in Caucasus region, there are slight variations from Azerbaijan to Georgia. And though this dish is traditionally baked and served in individual clay pots, I cooked it in a Dutch oven. I did get to use some meat from my lamb share that I got from Farmer Shep. So happy to have ethical meat producers in my circle. Please bear in mind that this is not a traditional recipe, it's my take on the dish, so if you have a Russian grandmother, this probably isn't like hers. Sorry.


Ingredients
  • 2 pounds meat, cubed (I used boneless lamb)
  • 12 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
  • 1 onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 T butter
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 3 organic tomatoes, cored and diced
  • 1 C stock (I used beef stock)
  • 1/2 C red wine
  • 3 organic potatoes, cubed
  • 3 to 4 small organic eggplants, peeled and cubed
  • 1 C fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 C fresh basil, chopped
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste


Procedure  
Melt butter in olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add in the garlic and onions, and cook until the onions are turning translucent. Add in the meat and brown the edges. Stir in the tomatoes, stock, and wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Let the meat braise for 90 minutes. 

Stir in the potatoes and the eggplant. Add water, if needed to mostly cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil, again. Then reduce the heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook until the eggplant is softened, but still holding their shape, approximately 30 minutes.

Stir in herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.

*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.



I am also linking this post to the Foodie Reads Challenge. 
Here's what everyone else read in June 2017: here.

Comments

  1. I didn't think there would be a whole lot to write about Soviet cooking. I always imagined it to be very dull cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled with this book as well, Cam but I was listening to it. Maybe it would have been better had I read it. I am going to have to try that potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the photo of your bag with the jury summons. My last one also lasted over 6 hours. I am glad that though the reading was not easy, the recipes were successful. Both dishes you made look great! Thank you for participating to this edition of Cook the Books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book was probably more enjoyable for history lovers, which is why I found it more readable, though with reservations. Good meal you got from it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree--I wanted more of the food and thought much of the history was dry. I will have to make the Salat Olivier one of these days, it looks so interesting and good. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you could put your down time at jury duty to good use! :) Both of your dishes look amazing. I guess I wanted more food too from the author and maybe some more emotions. I felt like she might have been being too ironic and I wasn't getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just couldn't get through the book! Your recipes sounds absolutely divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love potato salad in its many forms. My mother in law made with boiled dressing -- a delaware favorite - Cathy Branciaroli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce