Skip to main content

Egyptian Mint Limeade #EatLikeAnEgyptian


Welcome to #EatLikeAnEgyptian! Today we are having fun exploring our favorite Egyptian cuisine recipes to commemorate the holiday of Eid-el-Fitr, which begins at sundown. Thanks to Sue - of Palatable Pastime - for coordinating the event!


Many years ago - actually more than seven years ago from looking at the ticket photo - my boys were fascinated by the ancient Egyptians. We read books about them and watched documentaries about them. Oddly, I think I remember going to the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum in San Jose when I was about that same age.


 And it just so happened that the Tutankhamun exhibit landed in San Francisco that year...just in time for D's 6th birthday. So, naturally, we bought tickets, booked a hotel, invited my parents up, and made a birthday adventure out of it.


The night before we went to the museum, we ate at an Egyptian restaurant in the Outer Richmond where we feasted, watched a belly dancer, and the boys were able to put on some kitschy costumes. They loved it!


The following semester I taught a 6-week class at their school called Tut-Mania! The final class day, we had an Egyptian feast. It's been awhile since I've had Egyptian food, so when Sue suggested a food event, I was in!

Back when I taught Tut-Mania! I served an Egyptian lemonade, Assir Limon. But for today's event, I wanted to make something that intrigued me: Egyptian mint limeade. I'd read about this drink and it's cool frothiness was much needed as the temperatures on California's central coast soared this week. Okay, let's be honest, we live in a temperate, Mediterranean climate here. So, when I say that it was hot, that just means it was over 70 degrees F. Don't laugh.

Ingredients

  • 2 C ice + more for serving
  • 2 C water
  • 4 large organic limes, washed, cut into small pieces, and seeds removed
  • Juice of 1 large lemon
  • 1 bunch fresh mint leaves, stems removed (about 25-40 mint leaves), more for later
  • 1 C organic granulate sugar
Procedure

Add all the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor or high-quality blender. Cover and liquefy until you achieve your preferred consistency. Taste and adjust with more sugar or more mint leaves, if you like. Blend again.


Place ice into individual glasses and pour the limeade into the glasses. You can strain it, if you like, but I left my thick like a smoothie. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve immediately.

Comments

  1. This has been on my list of things to try - looks so refreshing and perfect for a warm day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah....I just left a comment on Carlee's post saying how fun it would be if we were all physically together sharing our food and I wondered what beverages we would serve. Next post I open is yours and this wonderful limeade. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I have the Steve Martins song, "King Tut" running through my head! You're probably too young to have heard it =) This lemonade sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter went through the same phase of being obsessed with Egypt at that age. I think she still has few items she collected back then (she's 31 now, lol) My dad was stationed there as part of UN troops and has lots of pictures so I think that sparked her interest. Love the color of this limeade and I bet it's refreshing too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so refreshing! I need to put limes on my grocery list. How fun that you made a weekend of visiting the museum and eating the food. I can't wait to have birthday adventures like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very interesting. I've never seen lemonade blended into almost a smoothie. Looks refreshing and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you leave the peel on the limes?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce